Compound mod for the 7x10 Minilathe.

Tired of crancking the compound back every time you need to modify the angle on those minilathes ?
I was, indeed, so I decided to modify it in a easy-to-use way.

Here what I did:
I have replicated the degree scale in mild steel, and slotted an hole inside:



I have then make some hole on the compound base and threaded M3:
The holes are 4 so, at least for the most useful angles, there are always 2 screw locked:

The compound rotating base has been shimmed with a 0.8mm shim  so that when the compound is fully screwed and locked on the pivot, it can still rotate:


I'm very satisfied of this mod. It's since 2015 I have it and since then I have not noticed any strange behaviour.
No chatter ( or at least no more than before ) but now angleing the compound is a really easy thing.



I' still thinking a similar mod for the negatives angles btw, because it's not usable when ( for example )  you are threading inside. It's always 29,5° but on  the "other side" and the degree scale has is not on the compound base.



For this condition I have made three threaded holes, 120° apart, and angled "correctly" in the base.
In this hole I have put three set screw, M3, that block the compount pivot.
Enough fast for me.



Why I've not made the same modification on the backside ? It would have always been full of chips and swarf.... 

If you have questions or comment, feel free to write me.

Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

A DIY Bandsaw for the shop-